For many homeowners, a healthy, lush lawn is a source of pride and goes a long way in beautifying your property. However, maintaining a remarkable yard takes work, from fertilizing and watering to mowing. Buying the right equipment can help you tackle the task efficiently and effectively. To ensure you’re choosing the right lawn mower for your needs, consider your personal preferences and the size of your lawn. Understanding the benefits of different types of lawn mowers will help you find the perfect machine.
Lawn Mower | Need To Know When Buy New For Garden
Why buy a new lawn mower?
- Using the proper equipment for your yard makes it easier to maintain your lawn.
- A well-manicured lawn enhances your home’s curb appeal.
- It might be time to upgrade to a more environmentally friendly model or one that demands less muscle power to get the job done.
- Technological advances provide more safety, efficiency and convenience options.
Features of Lawn Mowers
Convenience and Safety Features
- Many mowers come equipped with engines that can start with the touch of a button.
- Self-propelled models can make the task of cutting your lawn faster and less strenuous.
- Enhanced safety features, including updated shields and automatic turn-off mechanisms that stop the motor, help to make newer lawn mowers safer to operate than previous models.
- The latest mowers feature quieter engines. This makes it easier on your ears and less disruptive to your neighbors.
- New push mowers have an adjustable deck, letting you customize the cutting height to give your lawn the best cut for your climate and type of grass.
- Mulching with mowers has been available for a while, but modern mulching functionality creates smaller clippings that fall easier to the soil even in wet or tall grass.
- The latest lawn mower models are more energy efficient and environmentally friendly than those of the past.
- Some lawn mowers offer a mulching feature, which saves you time and benefits your lawn by helping to maintain moisture and provide fertilization.
Self-propelled mowers come in three drive types: front-wheel, all-wheel and rear-wheel.
- Front-wheel drive models are best for level terrain.
- Rear-wheel drive is best if you have hilly terrain and need more power to move up and over hills. They’re also great if you bag clippings, as the added weight increases traction to the drive wheels.
- All-wheel drive self-propulsion gives you a good mix of both if you have to mow a variety of surface types.
Types of Lawn Mowers
Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers
Husqvarna 7021P 21-Inch 160cc Honda GCV160 Gas Powered 3-N-1 Push Lawn Mower With High Rear Wheels (CARB Compliant)
Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers deliver power to move them forward automatically. They are available in single or variable speeds.
- Price: $320-$620
- Cutting width range: 21-22 inches
- Power source: 140-190cc engine
Self-propelled lawn mowers are best for…
- Small to medium-sized yards: If your lawn is half an acre or less, a self-propelled lawn mower can handle the job with ease. This lawn mower is also a good choice if you have a hilly landscape because of its maneuverability.
- Homeowners who want a boost of power: Self-propelled lawn mowers help make yard work easier. They’re available in rear- or front-wheel drive and you can direct them with a gentle nudge. These powerful machines also can carry the extra weight of bagged clippings with ease.
Push Lawn Mowers
GreenWorks 25302 G-MAX 40V Twin Force 20-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower, (1) 4Ah (1) 2Ah Batteries & Charger Included
Push Lawn Mowers are gas-powered and, unlike self-propelled models, require you to do all the pushing.
- Price: $230-$310
- Cutting width range: 20-23 inches
- Power source: 140-190cc engine
Push lawn mowers are best for …
- Small to medium-sized yards: A push lawn mower is equipped to handle lawns smaller than half an acre. Because there are no cords, you can maneuver around your yard with ease on flat or uneven terrain.
- Homeowners who don’t mind exerting some energy: If your idea of mowing involves some sweat equity, a push lawn mower is a cost-effective option. Many of these late-model lawn mowers have convenient features such as height adjusters, safety features and efficient bag attachments for collecting clippings.
Fiskars Staysharp Max Reel Mower, 18-Inch
Reel Mowers are manually operated and consist of blades that turn on a frame like a paddle boat. These mowers trim with cuts similar to those made by a pair of scissors.
- Price: $85-$600
- Cutting width range: 14-20 inches
- Power source: Your own muscle power
Reel mowers are best for …
- Homeowners with small yards: Push reel mowers are a good choice if your yard is a quarter-acre or smaller. Because of their simple design these mowers work best on flat terrain.
- The environmentally conscious: Since push reel mowers run on manpower instead of gas or electricity, they are ideal for those interested in minimizing their carbon footprint.
- Homeowners interested in low-cost options: These mowers are generally less expensive than their gas- and electric-powered counterparts and require very little maintenance. Since they don’t require gas, oil or spark plugs to keep them operating you only need to sharpen the blades as needed.
Cordless Rechargeable Mowers
EGO Power+ LM2001-X 56V 7.5Ah Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower with Battery & Charger Kit
Cordless Rechargeable Mowers offer the convenience of efficient lawn cutting without tangled cords, exhaust fumes and gas.
- Price: $250-$620
- Cutting width range: 14-20 inches
- Power source: 24-40V rechargeable battery
Cordless rechargeable mowers are best for garden…
- Homeowners with small to medium-sized lawns: Cordless rechargeable mowers can be used to effectively maintain lawns that are one-third of an acre or less, as their rechargeable batteries generally last 30-70 minutes. These models work best on flatter terrain.
- The environmentally conscious: Homeowners who prefer to protect the environment while still getting the cutting power they need will enjoy the attributes of cordless rechargeable mowers. The latest models produce no exhaust while providing features that include variable cutting options, mulching and discharge bags.
Corded Electric Mowers
GreenWorks 25022 12 Amp Corded 20-Inch Lawn Mower
Corded Electric Mowers are generally more cost efficient, environmentally friendly and quieter than gas-operated mowers. Because they require a cord, these mowers are ideal for smaller lawns.
- Price: 120-$385
- Cutting width range: 15-20 inches
- Power source: 8-13 Amp electric motor
Corded electric mowers are best for …
- Homeowners with small lawns: Corded electric mowers are ideal for lawns that are smaller in size, as you need to keep them plugged in to keep the lawn mower running. That means you can only cut the parts of the yard you can reach.
- Low-maintenance options: For those who don’t want to bother with maintenance and upkeep, the corded electric mower is a great option. Unlike a gas mower, it doesn’t require oil, spark plugs or filter maintenance.